Blue Run Spirits recently announced its final whiskey release of the year, 12 of them to be exact.
It’s the Blue Run Winter Solstice Collection, the second annual Blue Run “12 Days of Bourbon” that features a dozen single barrel, barrel proof high rye bourbons available one bottling per day that started yesterday at www.bluerunspirits.com/shop.
Each high rye bourbon barrel in the Blue Run Winter Solstice Collection was distilled by Blue Run Liquid Advisor Jim Rutledge at Castle & Key.
The barrels were aged in the northernmost rick houses, then hand selected by Blue Run Whiskey Director Shaylyn Gammon with a focus on unique flavor profile, depth and the complexity of warm, sweet flavors that pair well with the winter season.
Looking to maintain as much of that flavor as possible, each bottling is at barrel proof (from 117.2 to 129 proof).
“In sampling and indexing hundreds of barrels for various Blue Run projects, there were 12 barrels I encountered that absolutely stood out,” Gammon said in a prepared statement. “Each wonderfully different from the next, these barrels are the true cream of the crop from this batch. These dozen barrels became the 12 expressions of Winter Solstice.”
Colorful versions of Blue Run’s signature butterfly medallion, designed by Devon McKinney, decorate the whiskey bottles and are designed to evoke the aurora borealis, or northern lights.
Each bottling in the Blue Run Winter Solstice Collection has a suggested retail price of $179.99. And the complete collection is also available for $2,999.99.
The bourbons in the Blue Run Winter Solstice Collection are:
Dec. 1 – Meteor
- Proof: 122
- On the nose, Meteor opens with warm brown sugar and toasted sourdough. On the palate, juicy apples burst into stone fruit with a lingering pear finish.
Dec. 2 – Light Year
- Proof: 123.9
- Apples and honey on the nose, the palate has a hint of snow-covered pine trees meeting spicy pepper, leather and elemental wood spice. Herbal tea and rye notes conclude the voyage.
Dec. 3 – Lunar
- Proof 117.2
- Lunar has robust dark notes of black cherry, salted caramel and campfire on the nose illuminated by sun-ripened summer fruits, Italian Barolo and light oak on the palate. The finish is like a field teeming with wildflowers.
Dec. 4 – Solar
- Proof: 119.1
- Bright rays of pear, cherry, tropical fruit and sherry shine brightly on the nose evolving into oven-baked sugary pastry and toasted wood. Over time, the brightness fades into darker notes and French oak.
Dec. 5 – Infinity
- Proof: 118.7
- Lemon zest pairs with roses while the scent of sawdust introduces the palate of honeydew, peanut brittle, warm spice and toffee. The finish is a lasting loop of cloves and rye spice.
Dec. 6 – Interstellar
- Proof: 118.6
- Pecans sandwiched by melting caramel and vanilla captivate the senses and set the scene for spicy cinnamon and ripened kiwi, culminating in a long finish of drizzled honey.
Dec. 7 – Supernova
- Proof: 129
- Supernova features cola, port wine and blackberries on the nose, with light brown sugar and red hots on the palate, resulting in a tingling and enduring black pepper finish.
Dec. 8 – North Star
- Proof: 118.7
- A floral nose accompanied by lime zest, butterscotch and leather makes the direction of this pour exceedingly clear. The palate features nougat, light cayenne and white pepper enveloped in hints of island daiquiri. The finish is pleasantly spicy.
Dec. 9 – Gravity
- Proof: 118.9
- Plums, gingerbread and barrel char dominate the nose, accelerating into coconut-pecan frosted German chocolate cake. Spicy cocoa on the finish.
Dec. 10 – Constellation
- Proof: 121
- Honey, sour apple, maple syrup and tobacco on the nose, allowing the palate to identify clusters of peach and sweet corn gently graduating into butterscotch, light cinnamon and clove.
Dec. 11 – Black Hole
- Proof: 124.2
- Apricot, caramel and molasses on the nose with tastes of molasses and tobacco. The finish is long and lingering.
Dec. 12 – Cosmic
- Proof: 122.9
- Light citrus, toffee, butter and wood char unite to create a universal entry point to a palate dominated by cinnamon raisin bread. The balanced finish is highlighted by nutmeg.
For more information or to get a bottle, check out www.bluerunspirits.com.